[K12OSN] LTSP on same network as Windows

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sat Aug 21 17:08:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 08:31:40AM -0400, Yancey B. Jones wrote:
> I am going to be setting up a Linux terminal server for a charter school
> here in Cincinnati. The idea has been extremely well received by the school
> administrator. We will already have a DHCP, DNS, and Internet gateway in
> place before setting up the terminal server so is there any reason that I
> shouldn't set up the Linux terminal server on the same network and use my
> existing DHCP and DNS servers? I will also want to give students/teachers
> access to their files whether they log into a Windows box or Linux terminal
> - any HOWTO's for this come to mind?

TC's (Thin Clients) use a lot of bandwidth between themselves and their
respective LTSP server.

You should definitely think about having your TC's on a separate LAN
segment with their server.  The server can act as a gateway to the rest
of the LAN by giving it two NIC's.

This will reduce the load on the rest of your LAN by moving all the TC
specific traffic off of it onto this separate network segment.

This will also eliminate the confusion between your LTSP server trying
to act as DHCP server for your TC's at the same time your original
DHCP server is trying to do the same thing.

Since the k12ltsp distro is setup to have the LTSP server be the dhcp
server for the TC's this will make your life easier as well.

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"