[K12OSN] I miss RHN

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sun Aug 22 22:23:10 UTC 2004

Dan Young wrote:

>Lewis Holcroft said:
>

>>I thought the yum daemon did that for you.
>>

>In my experience, the yum daemon just does the updates.
>
>I'd rather just know the updates were needed, do them at my leisure,
>then restart services as needed.
>
>--
>Dan Young
>Parkrose School District

A 'yum check-update' will tell you what updates are available and
applicable to your system.  You could create a simple cron job of your
own to email that to you, or you could modify /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron
to do it (that is what the yum rc.d script enables), or you could
install yum-applet (see http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-applet/ )
for a gui desktop indicator.