[K12OSN] SSH & Dump

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Fri Aug 27 18:05:24 UTC 2004

Revisiting my hurried post several weeks ago, I found that setting the
environmental variable RSH=ssh will do the trick (don't forget to setup
passwordless authorized keys between the machines) to get ssh encrypted
dump backups. Performance was about 500-600kb/min with some compression
on the dump end.  Command line was:

RSH=ssh rdump <your options go here>

I'm eyeing a 200 gig ide drive to start using backuppc to save me from
running around the campus like a madman.

My sympathy goes out to anyone on this list(as well as off) who was in
the path of Hurricane Charley.

Hrrm... back to catching up my k12osn e-mail backlog... 30 to go!

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School
www.hhprep.org