[K12OSN] Searching for server (DHCP)

Jesse McDonnell jessemcdonnell at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 10:14:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:48:42 -0300
Timothy Legge <tlegge at rogers.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 22:23, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> > and did a search on google for the PXE-E52 error
> > and got http://riv-mail.mesd.k12.or.us/mailarchives/k12ltspdig/306.html
> > where the writer says: "What version of pxe does
> > your client have? I've had success with 2.0 but not with .99."
> >
> > My client has .99
>
> Yes, I have not had luck with 0.99.  Typically you can get an update to
> load onto the card.  If it is the bios pxe, upgrading  the bios will
> normally upgrade pxe.

Tim and Debbie,

The old  0.99 version raises it's buggy head again!  I got the same PXE-E52 error  when setting up an Intel cn430tx board with onboard nic and Landesk Service Agent 0.99. Landesk Service Agent 0.99 is known to be buggy.  The solution that worked for me is outlined at  http://syslinux.zytor.com/hardware.php#network.

Briefly, disable path MTU discovery on the boot server by changing the content of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc from 0 to 1.
To do this. as root, run echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc  from the command line. If you ever reboot your server you will have to rerun this command.

Disable the blksize TFTP option on your TFTP server by adding -r blksize to the server_args in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
The line in my system is:

server_args	=  -r blksize -s /tftpboot/

You'll have to restart tftp for the changes to take effect.: /sbin/service xinetd restart should take of that.

This works for me...hope it does for you.

Good luck!

Jesse McDonnell