[K12OSN] K12LTSP 3.2 for RHEL, LDAP config wishlist ..

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Sun Aug 29 15:06:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Eric Harrison wrote:

> I've uploaded an early alpha build of K12LTSP 3.2. This is a back-port
> of all the work that went into K12LTSP 4.1 to the "Enterprise Linux"
> versions.

This is great news.

I see the K12LTSP 4.1 had one big RPM to hold all of LTSP tar.gz
install archives.

I have another request :-

I am looking at the possibility of moving over to LDAP as a repository
for all my config information. I use it for authentication, meaning
that I can back up all usernames and passwords by dumping my LDAP
database. I do not yet use this info on my Mail eXchangers, but
hope to in the future.

I have been experimenting with PowerDNS, and am pleasantly suprised
by the LDAP backend that it sports - now I can keep all my nameserver
information like local lookups and school MX records in LDAP.

I tried the LDAP patch to ISC DHCPD, but went back to flat files.
I identify machines in lts.conf by MAC address, so I do not need
much beyond a range statement in DHCP.

I would, however, love to have lts.conf info stored in LDAP. Which
computers have 2 mouse buttons ? Go easy on screen resolution for
that old monitor. Identify the Xserver for the 486 at the back.

Next, I need LDAP authentication for UUCP ..

Cheers,    Andy!

http://wizzy.org.za/