[K12OSN] taskbar issues after updates

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 31 15:02:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 08:07, Will Hatch wrote:
> Well, I decided to do all the updates and I have had some sort of a meltdown.  After I rebooted the hourglass just hung on the screen.  I tried using the earlier kernals, with the same result.  Oh no!  So, I used the k12 cd set to install/upgrade.  It managed to recover my system, but something is going on with the taskbar.  My clock, up2date icon, and other functions from the task bar had an error message.  It said I could delete the configuration for these files if I wanted.  It does this for every user.  After I selected delete, everything seems to work fine.  I miss my post-it notes, clock, weather ect.  Oh, and the icons for openoffice, mozilla, printer are on the taskbar.  Its the things on the right/bottom of the screen that are history.  Could I possibly use the cd set in upgrade mode again to recover this?  Thanks.

It may be that some of your updates didn't actually complete. I'd try it
again, although I prefer to run yum from the command line so I can
see what is happening a little better.  The results should be the
same since they manage the same rpm packages.  Assuming the underlying
applets are still there, you should be able to put back the
missing taskbar components by clicking the right mouse button on it
and selecting 'add to panel'.

---
 Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com