[K12OSN] K12LTSP & Workstation Sound

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Dec 1 15:14:30 UTC 2004

Michael Elliott wrote:
> Can anyone please offer advice as to how I might be able to get the
> sound going on my workstations?

Michael, I have been hoping someone would explain nasd for a while, I
just don't understand what it is or does.  I have sound working with esd
as the sound daemon, but not with flash sites (no sound in flash)

If you use "esd" instead of "nasd" -- and then reboot the thin client,
try (in an xterm) typing "esdplay soundfile.wav" and see if you get the
sound to play.  If so, then you have working sound, and can configure
any application that supports esd to use it.

Thunderbird email seems to just magically work without configuring for
esd specifically.  Mplayer (video player, awesome, worth the compile)
works if set to use esd, xmms works if set to use esd (or esound, it's
the same thing esd=esound), etc, etc.

If you get any other info, I'm very interested as well.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director