[K12OSN] K12LTSP & Workstation Sound

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Wed Dec 1 16:00:39 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers wrote:

> Michael Elliott wrote:
>
>> Can anyone please offer advice as to how I might be able to get the
>> sound going on my workstations?
>

> Michael, I have been hoping someone would explain nasd for a while, I
> just don't understand what it is or does.  I have sound working with
> esd as the sound daemon, but not with flash sites (no sound in flash)
>
> If you use "esd" instead of "nasd" -- and then reboot the thin client,
> try (in an xterm) typing "esdplay soundfile.wav" and see if you get
> the sound to play.  If so, then you have working sound, and can
> configure any application that supports esd to use it.
>
> Thunderbird email seems to just magically work without configuring for
> esd specifically.  Mplayer (video player, awesome, worth the compile)
> works if set to use esd, xmms works if set to use esd (or esound, it's
> the same thing esd=esound), etc, etc.
>
> If you get any other info, I'm very interested as well.
>
> -Shawn

I've seen a lot of messages on the list about workstation sound. How
about we add a section in the wiki to try and centralize things? OK, I
admit it, I am doing that now. I have added a section under "Software"
called "WorkstationSound". Hopefully, we can centralize the knowledge
about sound there. I've included the information from this thread into
the wiki, without credit.

So far, I have to admit, I haven't tried too hard myself, and my system
doesn't do sound under KDE anyway.
I'm not an authority. It would be nice to find some authoritative
information in the Wiki.

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/WorkstationSound

Angus Carr.