[K12OSN] Knowledge turned crisis

David H. Barr david at okgoodwill.org
Thu Dec 2 22:09:26 UTC 2004

If you're going to stick with EIDE, you don't necessarily need more than one card;  Typically for low-end setups I set one hdd as master0, and a dvd/cdrw as slave0.  Then 3 drives go in, one as master1, master2, master3 -- and voila!  Cheapest raid5 w/hotspare I know how to get ahold of.  Essentially you want to make sure they have their own CHANNEL, not necessarily their own controller.

As long as one is doing software raid, though, what's the problem with SATA drives?  A generic controller is less than $30, and you can get 80GB models for dirt cheap.

-dhbarr.

Around Thursday, December 02, 2004 3:51 PM,