[K12OSN] K12LTSP & Workstation Sound

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Dec 3 21:37:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 09:09 -0800, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 12:00 -0500, Gideon Romm wrote:
> > :)  Shawn, you're funny.  I couldn't live without my streaming mp3s
> > during the day...
> >
> > You should be aware of one thing that isn't in my hpwto:  The /tmp
> > directory gets cleared periodically, so you will find that /tmp/.esd
> > directory will get removed.  You should compensate for this, either
> > manually or with some appropriate script that recreates the directory
> > if it is not present.  Annoying, but hey, workarounds always are...
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > -Gideon
>
> Thanks for the info Gideon... I'm already working on packaging it ;-)
>
> I'm thinking that a cron job that checks for /tmp/.esd/socket and
> creates
> it if it does not exist would be the least hackish approach.
>
> I can add a post-install script to the ltsp-sound package that checks
> for
> the /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 symlink. These two additions should do the
> trick.

I created a new package containing these changes, but I'm a bit
unhappy with the cron job that creates /tmp/.esd/socket.

For my first crack at it, this cron job will refuse to run
unless "FLASH_SOUND_HACK=YES" is added to /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp

The problem, or potential problem I should say, is that if
/tmp/.esd/socket exists then esd will refuse to run except
as the user who owns /tmp/.esd/socket.

I'm not really sure if that is a serious problem or not,
and don't have time to test it much right now. So for now
it defaults to skipping this part...

For those who would like to help me test this out, you
can download the package from:

	ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/

-Eric