[K12OSN] beta5 & NICs

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Dec 6 00:32:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, norbert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK the saga continues ... If I activate one NIC it works fine, however when I
> activate the second one it doesn't work.
>
> i.e.
> Start with eth1 as external communication -  getting its IP address via dhcp
> from  router "OK"
> Start eth0 static ip 192.168.0.254 for internal subnet and eth1 no longer
> resolves external IPs.
>
> BUT what's wierd is that after I start eth0 the IP of eth1 changes on the
> router to 192.168.0.254 !!!!
>
> This is driving me crazy !!! HELP
>
> Configuration V4.0.1 upgraded to beta5
> Server P-IV 2.66 GHZ, 2GB memory & 2HD
> NIC - onboard 3-com 10/100/1000, second NIC 3Com 905b TX fast ethernet

One of the things to watchout for when upgrade 3.x/4.0 to 4.1/4.2
is the switch from the 2.4 kernel to the 2.6 kernel.

* Your network cards may be detected in reverse, what was eth0 is
   now eth1 and vise-versa. Double-check that the card you think is
   eth0 is really eth0, eth1 is really eth1, etc.

* Modules are now defined in /etc/modprobe.conf rather than the
   old /etc/modules.conf. Make sure that the entries for eth0 &
   eth1 are correct in /etc/modprobe.conf, they should *probably*
   be the same as in /etc/modules.conf assuming the driver names
   have not changed

* Take a look in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices and
   /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles to make sure you don't have
   ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1, and other such configs there that are
   incorrect.

-Eric