[K12OSN] K12LTSP, only thicker

Frank Samuelson fws4 at cdrh.fda.gov
Mon Dec 6 22:00:27 UTC 2004

I really like the k12ltsp distn.  It makes
ltsp very easy to use and administer.  Thanks!

My question:
Does anyone know of such a full featured distro for thick clients
that works as seamlessly as k12ltsp?

Currently I'm running both thin and thick clients off my
k12ltsp box using the redhat-netboot apparatus for the
thick clients.  It works pretty well, but it is
flaky.  I've had to hand fix all sorts of little things
uniquely on each machine like the CD-ROMs, etc.
Some things I haven't been able
to do on the thick clients, like mount smb shares
or access the local disks as swap.
Redhat-netboot is obviously a kludge on top of Fedora.

I'm thinking of
something that does really good
hardware autoconfiguration (like knoppix) plus
some autosoftware configuration (like
get user authentication via LDAP and
ntp time from the server) and still
be easily configurable (such as which NFS
and SMB systems to mount).

Is there anything like this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Frank