[K12OSN] Fedora 3 = 4.2 - right? Ready to use it - production -

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 01:08:26 UTC 2004

Hello Everyone,   Merry Christmas or  Happy secular Holiday!   I have some
time off over the Christmas break and have been contemplating using Fedora 3
on my current 3.01 K12LTSP server.  I have already done a mass cloning of 30
boxes using Fedora3 using K12LTSP fedora2 rpms for Icewm and a few other
things.  Everything seems to work just fine.

I am using Fedora3 at home and it seems to be really an improvement over
fedora2, especially with the hotpluging of usb sticks and cameras in gnome.
-Almost consumer desktop ready!-   I have a duplicate system at home with
the Fedora3 on it now running just fine so I'm not too worried about putting
it on the dual mp system at school, but -- I gota ask this list about this
before I head off and do it.

Eric, James, David, and others??

I have been up to my eyeballs for months now with Yearbook but have been an
almost daily lurker on this list and have watched the development of 4.2
betas...   Any opinions on utilizing the 4.2 beta or straight Fedora3 plus
4.1 K12LTSP rpms to fill in the holes?  I know how to set up the icewm only
session settings, and have read about the changes to /etc/passwd, group and
shadow, and how the lts.conf, dhcp.conf and another I can't remember file
must be carefully edited/spliced with the previous...

What about the kill/suicide scripts??  Are these still in place in the
K12LTSP 4.x series?? These really are necessary.

I would like to do this over XMas.  I will take out the old drives and use a
newer drive, so if things go bad, I can always re-install the originals...

Thanks for all corrections and new ideas,  Jim