[K12OSN] Help! Please!

Ascension Tech ascensiontech at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 08:33:51 UTC 2004

Oh man, am I screwed!  I had a filesystem problem after a reboot
saying 'extended attribute block...reference count 18 should be 17"
for md2 .  I freaked out and ended up accidentally fscking up my md1
array instead (I think may be /boot.  doe!).  Then it was saying "bad
magic number in super-block".  Booting says after grub "VFS: can't
find ext3 filesystem on dev md1". Linux Rescue from the cd can't find
a file system at all but I think that may be sata driver related
because knoppix sees some of it, thankfully the raid 1 partitions  of
my /home.  Obviously I'm new to this and I wouldn't say this machine
is in full production (planned for the 2nd semester).  But if it can't
be saved I would like to save at least my /home directory, which has a
webmin batch file of users as well as some peoples docs.  Can someone
help me recover some or all this?  If I try and copy /home to another
drive do I need knoppix to recognize it as a raid partition or can I
just copy one since they are exactly the same size? For the original
reference count error should I just have let it fix?
Thank you,
Peter