[K12OSN] Re: Help! Please!

Frank Samuelson fws4 at cdrh.fda.gov
Thu Dec 16 14:42:17 UTC 2004

Ascension Tech wrote:
> Ok, I'm assuming I messed that md1 up for good.  I'm a jackass. Moving
> on....With knoppix, I read-only mounted one of the raid 1 partitions
> of /home and did "cp -r -p " to a usb2 drive.

You may want to use cp -a  (for "archive").

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:03:27 -0500, Ascension Tech
> <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Do you mean that I could do a minimal install on a spare machine with
>>the exact same size /boot partition and array and copy it over?

probably.  It would have to contain the same files that
grub was using to boot previously.  Before copying
you'll want to wipe the filesystem by reformatting
(mke2fs -j ... /dev/mdX ) because it is messed up.

>>If that's not possible, since it's safer, how do get knoppix to
>>recognize my md1 array instead of 2 identical partitions.

Do you mean md2?  I'm getting confused.
You may  have to start  the array with raidtools or mdadm
if it is not autodetected.
I don't know which tools are in knoppix.
Example:
  mdadm --assemble /dev/md3 /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdc3
(Don't use create).