[K12OSN] Sound

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Dec 17 18:15:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 09:25 -0500, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Bjørn Roger Rasmussen wrote:
> > Can someone tell me the pros and cons between ESD and NASD? I have not
> > managed to get NASD to work.
>
> I've asked that exact question here several times, and there doesn't
> seem to be an answer (which is not a poke at list members, it must just
> mean no one has an answer!)

I answer these occasionally, but since I tend to be grumpy about sound
support I generally avoid saying much ;-)

I did a bunch of the foot-work for the current sound support setup
(based off Andrew Williams' work, which was based off of Boris' work,
etc).

There are a number of people currently working to improve sound support,
so hopefully it will be much better in the near future.

> esd seems to work really well for me, apart from some audio delay, and
> during long playbacks, I'll get garbled sounds at times.  Nothing that
> is intolerable.

Esd works with some applications and with some hardware.

Nasd works with some applications and with some hardware.

There is not a 100% overlap between what esd supports and what nasd
supports. So if one does not work for you, try the other.

I personally have had the best luck with esd, but many people report
better luck with nasd (hence nasd being the default).

> The newly discovered esd/flash trick has been a miracle.  Eric -- if
> you're reading this, is your packaged version of that fix able to be
> installed in 4.0.1?  I guess I could yum search a bit to see if it's
> available to me...

I probably won't be back-porting this to 4.0.1. I will probably do a
4.1.2 that will include it.

-Eric