[K12OSN] Raid Level Choice

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Dec 23 20:50:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 14:27, Liam Marshall wrote:

> raid 5 utilizing 3 of the 80 GB drives and designating 1 80 GB drive as
> a hotspare

> 12LTSP 4.2.0 rc1 recognized raid controller with nothing for me to do.

Which controller, and does it have Linux utilities to check status
online?  You should be good for several years before anything goes
wrong, but the last thing you need is to find out that you didn't
notice when your hot spare was swapped in and now you have another
drive (or worse, two...) failing.

> after testing workstation functionality I followed a how to on restoring
> users and their home directories and mail to the new setup.  This also
> worked!  Something has to go wrong.  This is just not normal! :)

While you are on a roll you should plug your old scsi set in
somewhere and install backuppc to run on them.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com