[K12OSN] Tax Deductions

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Mon Dec 27 17:20:16 UTC 2004

Hi,

How do you handle contributions made to your school so the contributor
can get tax credits?

I've been trying to get a local school setup with k12ltsp for about two
years.  We've found enough old computers, monitors and keyboards for our
project from a local government agency. We had a little money set aside
and it looked like we were just about set to go.  Then there was a
problem with the schools budget and many, many things got axed.  The
monies for the k12ltsp servers were in the cuts.  So we have terminals
but no servers.

I can't blame them for the cuts, either. Money is so tight that they
have to worry about a lot more than computer systems right now.  But I'd
still like to figure out how to get them started with K12ltsp.  It would
change their world.

So it looks like we're going to have to go begging for donations of good
equipment to the school.  I think the only real chance for success with
this approach would be to offer tax deductions for the contributors.
What sort of red tape or accounting is required to be able to do this
properly?  How do you handle contributions?  Have you had any success
going out into the local private sector to ask for this sort of donations?

Many thanks,
Barry