[K12OSN] Changing proxy settings

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Fri Feb 20 11:54:01 UTC 2004

I only noticed this thread later so maybe this has been addressed.

We had a similar situation where we only had one LTSP box in a boys dorm and
wanted to force proxy use.  Andrew Bartlett of the Samba team happened to
come by Germany as we were working on this.  He wrote us an IPTABLES that
only allowed packets from UID root, named, and squid directly out the public
eth1 network card.  Thus the students could change their proxy settings on
Mozilla, but then they got *nothing* ... turn it on if you want internet.
IPTABLES has the ability to verify UID of the packet sender ... so that was
a brilliant bit of programming on the iptables developer's part.  This makes
for a VERY powerful firewall.  We then did not do any transparent proxy or
anything like that ... just a normal proxy setup, proxy set in Mozilla and
GO...

my 2 bits
joe