[K12OSN] Demo server specs

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Feb 19 13:57:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:15:41AM -0600, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:

> I'm getting ready to build a demo server to take
> with me to schools just to show them how easy it
> is to take their old junk PCs and attach them to
> the K12LTSP server and have a kickin' lab in
> almost no time.  My plan is to have the schools
> find 2 or 3 of their old junk PCs ready for me
> when I show up.  Then I'll just make sure they
> have 32 Mb RAM, PCI/AGP video, PCI sound and I'll
> bring the bootable NICs.  (Probably, I'll bring
> extra sticks of RAM with me as well as extra video
> & audio cards).
>
> I'm building this on my own cash, so I've got to
> keep the costs down as low as I can, yet still be
> able to have a system the PERFORMS well - WOW 'em
> (ya know?).
>
> Here's what I'm looking at from Tigerdirect.com:

I, too, have had at least one unpleasant and EXPENSIVE
experience with Tigerdirect.com.

I recommend newegg.com, FWIW.

> CPU //	CP1-XP25003BC  AMD Athlon? XP 2500+ /
> 512KB Cache / 333MHz FSB / Socket A / 			Barton
> Core / Processor with Fan
> 	$92.99
> MOBO //	A455-2031  Asus A7V8X-X Socket A

Ugghhh ...

Just my personal prejudice speaking, I guess, but I'd
stay away from Via-based motherboards. I'd suggest the
A7N8X.

> RAM //	U10-1905  Ultra 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz
> Memory 2 Pack (1024MB Total)
> 	$159.99

I'm also a little leery of nonamo-brand memory (or, at least,
names I don't recognize).  You can get two Crucial-brand
DIMMs with the same specs for $148 from Newegg.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)