[K12OSN] Changing proxy settings

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Thu Feb 19 16:10:01 UTC 2004

Rick O'Dell wrote:

> 	Hi all I'm new to the list and Linux in general. I have a Red Hat 9
> terminal server set up, I'm using squid and squidguard for proxy and
> filtering. My question is how do you keep the students from changing the
> proxy settings in Mozilla???? Also along the same line, is there a way to
> disable Mozilla profiles or at least use one profile for everyone???? I'm
> trying to get out of creating profiles and proxy settings for every
> user......
> Thanks...
> Rick O'Dell
> rodell at bakersfield.k12.mo.us
> Bakersfield R4 School
> Bakersfield MO

Hey Rick!  You're not far from me.  I'm in West
Plains, MO!  The easiest way to get around this
problem is to set up another box as your proxy
filter running squid & squidguard and /or
dansguardian.  I ran into this too when I first
started.  Just find an old machine and install
onto it.  The default settings for K12LTSP will be
  OK.  THEN, tell your real K12LTSP server to use
this machine as the gateway.  Now, when students
log on they CAN'T get online until they tell
Mozilla to use that proxy filter - no more
bypassing it!

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District