[K12OSN] k12LTSP and static IP

Michael Wescott wescott_mike at emc.com
Fri Feb 20 10:38:45 UTC 2004

>> Can the TS work the same if it were given a static IP address?  In
>> other word, can we point the clients to the server IP to run ltsp?

> Not sure what you mean here.  The TS should always have a static IP
> address itself, and by default, it does on the ¨inside¨ interface
> (assumes a two-NIC installation).  You have to have something consistent
> for your clients to point to, for both the TFTP server and the NFS server.

The server has two address. The "downstream" NIC supports
the clients and by default has a static address of
192.168.0.254. The upstream NIC connects to the rest of the
world, and by default has a DHCP assigned address. There is
no reason why this can't be made static. Just make sure you
get the right address and default gateway from your network
administrators.

It may not be a common occurrence, but you do need to make
sure that the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet isn't in use locally on
the upstream side lest that part of the school network be made
unreachable by the server.

--
	Mike Wescott
	Wescott_Mike at EMC.COM