[K12OSN] This $5 motherboard and processor - good for K12LTSP?

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Feb 20 21:13:02 UTC 2004

Yes, you can indeed run them fanless, but your heatsink should be pretty
huge, and you should have at least minimal airflow through the case.
The 1GHz version uses about 12W full-tilt, and, of course, they wouldn´t
be running at full-tilt in thin-client mode.  They are not really geared
to go up against the Pentium III or Celeron desktop chips; their market
is laptops and other low-power applications, kind of like Transmeta.
That said, their oomph/watt ratio is really impressive.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020605/index.html

This thing´s actually got enough oomph to make a decent stand-alone
box.  Remembering that a Pentium-133 is already overkill for an Xterm,
these would be way over the top for the horsepower we would need, all
the while not sucking up all the building´s power.  Useful for places
like California.  :-)

--TP