[K12OSN] Cups printing from Windows XP?

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Sat Feb 21 10:37:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:

> Yep, Win2k works but WinXP doesn't.  Cups is accepting from localhost and the local network.  However, I think I have tracked it down to settings in the security template for the XP box. I changed/reset every setting relating to printers that I could find in group policy, deleted the existing ntuser.dat and ntuser.pol and can now use the printer added by admin. Still can't add a printer for ipp/http (option is greyed out) unless admin, but the weekend isn't over yet.  Hope to get a default security template that I can then apply to the remaining XP student systems.
>
> Dave Hopkins
> Newark Charter School
> Newark Delaware 19713
> > Hrm, of course, as soon as I sent the previous email I actually tried it
> > using CUPS 1.1.17 and Windows 2000 and it worked just fine. (Well, I had
> > to install the appropriate printer driver, but you should also be able
> > to use a generic postscript driver).
> >
> > I literally told it to add a printer on my local intranet, typed in the
> > path (like you did) and it just worked.  You might want to look in
> > /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and make sure you're allowing access from more than
> > just localhost (as is the default).
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 09:51, dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
> > > Okay, I read an article that said this was easy.  Just not for me.  I have
> > cups working (I can print to the printers on the Linux side, no problems). But
> > ... when i try to specify the printer as http://mysystem:631/printers/ws003p
> > (e.g. printer on thin client ws003), Windows reports back that it cannot find
> > the printer.  I have no idea which setting in cupsd.conf I need to change/set.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave Hopkins
> > >
> > Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>

Well Guys,
	there is another way and one more other way: 1. on windoze (9x,
2k, xp) define ws connected printers as jetdirect network printers and
load correct win drivers - painful but works well and is very efficient in
moving data, and 2. enable samba on the ltsp server, export printers and
then add hem as remote printers on win boxes. both ways work for me just
fine, ymmv. julius