[K12OSN] k12LTSP and static IP

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Feb 21 18:20:00 UTC 2004

Then consider what I do, which is run a single-NIC K12LTSP server, like
this:

    REALLY BIG WAN

        Router
      (Cisco 3600)

--------------------------------------------   MAIN LAN
  |         |                 |        |      (say, 10.40.0.0/20)
K12LTSP    K12LTSP           Win2K    DHCP
Client     Server            Client   Server
           (10.40.0.254)

In this scenario, we make sure that dhcpd does *NOT* start when the
system comes up.  That means doing chkconfig on dhcpd, like so:

  chkconfig --level 2345 dhcpd off

If for some reason that doesn´t work for you, then we do it manually.
Go into these directories:

  /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
  /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
  /etc/rc.d/rc4.d
  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d

and rename Sxxdhcpd to Kxxdhcpd, where ¨xx¨ is some number.  On my
system, it´s S65dhcpd, for example.  I renamed it to K65dhcpd in _all
four_ of these directories.  Double check that it´s done in all four.
Really.

My K12LTSP server, you will note, is running in a single-NIC
configuration on a switched (Catalyst 3500) network, and the K12LTSP
server has Gig-E fiber.  A Bay/Nortel 350T or 450T switch w/ the Gig-E
interface will work equally well.  Since I happen to run the
infrastructure, I´m therefore the administrator for DHCP too, so I can
add the LTSP stuff to the scope myself.  If you´re not so fortunate,
then just ask your DHCP admin to add that stuff to the existing DHCP
server´s scope.  Yes, it does work, and no, you won´t have any DHCP
issues.  The Windows boxes will simply ignore the TFTP and NFS stuff
when the OS boots.  With one tweak, this is exactly how I run it, my
tweak being that the Cisco 3600 is itself the DHCP server (yep, they can
do that).

--TP