[K12OSN] Xwindow screen snooping

Michael Wescott wescott_mike at emc.com
Mon Feb 23 15:16:00 UTC 2004

> Has anyone found any good solutions for LTSP screen snooping? Ie: user calls
> the helpdesk and the support person can see what they are seeing?

I can think of one possible solution; be forewarned that I haven't
tried it.

The traditional LTSP setup has the terminal running linux and an X11
server that connects to clients back on the LTSP server. One could
configure terminals to run the same server and a single client that
also runs on the terminal, vncviewer. It would in turn connect to
a Xvnc server also running on the terminal which would get its client
from the LTSP server. Xvnc could be configured to allow incoming
connections from vncviewers running at the help desk.

Essentially this configuration gives both the terminal and the
help desk simultaneous access via vnc to a virtual Xserver (Xvnc).
For the 99.99% of the time that no help is needed it's a waste of
resources to have two servers running on the terminal. But I think
it should work. Anybody tried this?

--
	Mike Wescott
	Wescott_Mike at EMC.COM