[K12OSN] RE: OT: Keeping SME servers updated?

Quigg, Dale dale.quigg at aspentech.com
Wed Feb 25 12:24:02 UTC 2004

> From: Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:35:07 -0600
> Subject: [K12OSN] OT: Keeping SME servers updated?

> This is off-topic but I've seen several people on this
> list mention that they also use SME servers.  Has anyone
> come up with something as easy as apt-get or yum to keep
> them up to date?  I just noticed some of mine that I had
> let get out of date in remote locations have been compromised.
>
> If you have any that are exposed to the internet through
> ssh or ftp you need to be up to 5.6 with a bunch of RPM
> upgrades or the current 6.0.  Unfortunately I have made some
> custom changes that make the normal upgrade procedures
> painful, especially remotely...

Hi Les,

This may be an answer to your question in a round-about manner.

I've just (hopefully) completed a ~6 month "journey" trying to figure out a
solution to provide a firewall and content filtering for college students at
a house where I'm an alumnus.

I worked with E-Smith SME, CensorNet, and IP-COP with various add-ons.  When
I was finally ready to quit because nothing worked quite how I wanted, I
remembered reading about ClarkConnect on this list.  So far, it has been the
exact solution I need.  I decided to purchase the $245 bundle of
ClarkConnect Office with "SOHO" service.  See
http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/pricing.html to start.

I've only been running a few days at home to make sure the system works as I
expect.  I have encountered a few glitches, but support has been good so
far.

The main thing I like is that I feel comfortable that this system will
practically "maintain itself" with security updates, blacklists updates, and
intrusion updates. If something goes wrong, it's likely that I'll get email
from the monitoring services telling what happened.

Hope this helps.
Dale