[K12OSN] OT: Limit Network Access by time

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Feb 27 09:39:00 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>Wouldn’t the following two commands
>0 23 * * * /sbin/ipchains -I ethout 1 -i eth1 -j DENY
>0 23 * * * /sbin/ipchains -I ethin 1 -i eth1 -j DENY
>Completely disable the interface on all ports?  I assumed if I ran this
>on the local (Green Network for IPCop) it would disable routing
>completely.  I am not looking for a port specific block, just an entire
>shutdown.  Otherwise they will still be up all night on file sharing
>networks downloading stolen music and porn while instant messaging each
>other about what so and so said at school today.  I want the network
>dead during off hours.

My "You can complicate..." response was in reply to the "Has anyone had
a student connect to their PC at home via VNC?...how to squash it" inquiry.
If all traffic is disabled, that would of course disable access to vnc
and all alternative services on outside hosts.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021