[K12OSN] OpenAFS

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Fri Feb 27 17:09:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 08:20, Angus Carr wrote:

> I was thinking of setting up an OpenAFS server system here, and thought
> that others in the K12LTSP community might think it was useful, too. I
> guess I am looking for thoughts from the various members on the list
> about what you think of a service like that.

I had an application for a DFS a while back (I forget what exactly) but
I remember that the OpenAFS stuff was atrocious...  What a mission it
was, and even then it was flaky as hell..

>  I know that I find the
> Windows version of the same thing absolutely invaluable, as a user, and
> as a sysadmin. The loss of a laptop to airport theives didn't mean we'd
> lost the entire project document tree.

Apache+WebDAV is probably what you need, or Apache+FrontPage Extensions.

> The other component of this is that a large installation with multiple
> LTSP servers could use those servers for file service too, as a
> transparent backup in the case of the loss of the central file server.

hmmm, It's not going to be particularly solid, IMO.

best,
Steve