[K12OSN] OpenAFS

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Fri Feb 27 17:14:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 03:09, Steve Wright wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 08:20, Angus Carr wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking of setting up an OpenAFS server system here, and thought
> > that others in the K12LTSP community might think it was useful, too. I
> > guess I am looking for thoughts from the various members on the list
> > about what you think of a service like that.

> I had an application for a DFS a while back (I forget what exactly) but
> I remember that the OpenAFS stuff was atrocious...  What a mission it
> was, and even then it was flaky as hell..

I second the "approach with caution" sentiment. I tried working with
OpenAFS about 18 months ago, and "flaky as hell" sums up my experience
quite nicely as well. Unless they have made some big improvements, be
afraid, very very afraid.

--
   -Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989