[K12OSN] Linux Tape Backup Software

James Jensen jmsjnsnsatx at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 29 22:37:03 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Mikesell" <les at futuresource.com>
To: <k12osn at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Linux Tape Backup Software

> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 23:57, Gary Bricker wrote:
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for tape backup software?
> >

> It depends on what you want.  Amanda has a fairly horrible
> user interface but once you get it set up all you ever
> have to do is change tapes sometime during the day and
> it sends email about any problems.  If you forget to
> change the tape it will save the dumps on a holding
> disk where you can flush them later.  I use it for
> tapes that get rotated offsite, but also run backuppc
> which keeps compressed copies on disk for easy access
> with a web browser.
>
> ---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

tar works very well for me for tape.  And, of course Mondo Rescue is
rock solid and backs up to tape, DVD, CD, just about whatever you
want.

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

If you set up Mondo to backup via cron save yourself some grief and
have a look here first:

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3ABackups%3AMondo%3ACron

I need to update the information on that page for Webmin fans.  You
can easily accomplish the same evironment setup via cut & paste
through Webmin.

James Jensen