Re: [K12OSN] k12ltsp v4 upgrade

Mike Rambo wrote:

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 12:56, Les Mikesell wrote:

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:46, Mike Rambo wrote:

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:20, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

Mike Rambo wrote:

But I did boot rescue mode, remove lilo entirely, find grub already
installed, check grub.conf, and reboot to the exact same problem.

While booted rescue did you chroot to /mnt/sysimage then run grub-install command?

No. But I have now - no change.

#grub-install '(hd0)'
/dev/ida/c0d0p1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

Google showed a couple of thing about putting an entry into device.map
but that didn't help either. All my drives are on a hardware raid device
if that matters (and it appears it might).

Do you know how the bios on the raid card maps the partitions
when you boot?  The trick is to get grub or lilo to install
the boot loader where bios will find it as you boot.

If it isn't /dev/ida/c0d0p1 (etc.) I have no idea. It is a compaq
hardware raid card in a proliant 3000 server. lilo has always "just
worked" so I've never had to deal with this before. I'm almost certain I
told the installer to use the existing boot loader when I did the
upgrade but it apparently not only installed grub anyway but screwed up
either both bootloaders (or something else) in the process.

The grub-install failed, so the MBR written by LILO still hasn't been overwritten with what Grub needs.
Try this:
grub-install --recheck /dev/ida/c0d0
If that doesn't work can you include the results and a copy of grub.conf in your reply?
BTW if you have an nfs server on your network you can mount an exported dir on your rescue environment to avoid retyping files into email.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021