Re: [K12OSN] Data Base applications

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 23:35, John P. Conlon wrote:
> I can see that I need to restate my original query.  Our school is
> thinking about a possible class to teach/familiarize 6th graders with a
> variety of  of applications.  What we would want in this case is a GUI
> type data Base application more in line with Ashton-Tate's DBase IV.
> Students would build mostly text field data bases and then manipulate
> them to compare, sort, or arrange the data.

If you want to teach how databases work it would be good to
expose the basics of SQL, at least INSERT, UPDATE, and
some variations of SELECT and ORDER BY.  This can be done
with or without a GUI wrapper but if you do it without
showing the SQL or doing a multi-table join you might
as well be using a spreadsheet.  If you don't want to make
it too complicated you could provide canned data in a
database and let them do SELECT queries with the result
table displayed in a spreadsheet.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com