[K12OSN] Re: up2date problem SOLVED

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 11:09, Les Mikesell wrote:
> If you can find a less loaded mirror that is up to date
> wouldn't it be better to change your apt/yum configurations
> to use it?

But the problem with Les' answer (above), as I saw it, was that we
need a *repository*, not just any old mirror.

Subsequent research led me to this nice article, apparently
written by one of yum's maintainers:

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_article/yum_article/

... wherein I learned that anyone can become a repository by
downloading the updates (presumably via rsync) and "yummifying"
the directory that holds them.

There is a fedora mirror near me (VERY near -- my ISP has a direct
connection into the OC-3 backbone of the Oregon University
System, and UO is a fedora mirror!).  So of course my next
question was, "how can I tell whether a particular fedora mirror
has been yummified?"  Or maybe I should just ask, "How can I tell
whether this is a yummy mirror without tasting it first?"

Well, I still don't have the definitive answer to that one, but it
appears to be the presence of a directory called "headers" that
makes the difference.  That directory is there on UO's mirror, so
just for grins I modified the pertinent sections of my yum.conf
file thus:

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/1/i386/os
#http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/updates/1/i386
#http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

... and tried "yum update" again.

SUCCESS!  Watching with netstat (as if the incredible boost in
download speed wasn't enough evidence) confirmed that yum was now
getting its updates from the University of Oregon (about 30
blocks away from my house) instead of redhat's overloaded servers
on the other side of the continent.

Note that yum works with ftp as well as http.  It also works with
nfs or directly from a local filesystem, for those who wish to
set up their own in-house repositories (good idea).

You know what?  If you set up your own repository, you can build
your workstations with a yum.conf that points only to your
in-house repository and then run yum in cron.daily.  VOILA!  All
you have to do is add an update to your repository (and
re-yummify it), and every workstation in your enterprise is
automatically updated that night.

Contrast that with what it takes to keep Micro$oft workstations
patched....  With yum, you can keep thousands of workstations
patched simply by dropping a file into a directory on a server
and running a command.  If you use kickstart, you can even add a
yum update to the end of the install, and your workstations are
already up to date before they reboot!

This is all very cool, and I am confident that everyone else's
updating problems will go away if you'll try the same thing with
a mirror near you.  Now all this talk of yummy stuff is making me
hungry, so go ahead and try this while I go make a yummy peanut
butter & jelly sandwich.

Ken
--
"If you think of yourselves as helpless and ineffectual, it is
certain that you will create a despotic government to be your