Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] Window manager/Desktop question

John Hansknecht wrote:
On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 18:31, anthony baldwin wrote:

Do any of you guys know anything about this?
http://www.academiccomputingenvironments.com
They offer low cost ltsp lab solutions for schools.
They offere labs for as few as 6 users for as low as $1500.
I don't even know if they are using K12ltsp or not.
The site doesn't really say.
I am very impressed at the idea of offering an
out-of-the-box lab solution like this, frankly.
Wish I'd thought of it first and had the dough to start up.
Of course, such a venture would have to offer other products
to remain solvent, I am sure, as I suspect the market isn't
exactly booming...yet.

Hi Tony,

I wasn't aware of the web site, but we are also about to launch a beta
with a Linux server and hardware from ACE. Although I didn't know they
had a web site until I saw your email. They contacted me in October of
last year based on some email of mine they had seen on the K12OSN list
and asked if we would beta test a system. The server arrived over the
Christmas holidays and looks solid. It is a new 64bit Opteron(?SP?). I
will be testing the server in a lab hopefully starting on Monday. I will
let you know how the trial goes.

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

--
Anthony Baldwin