Re: [K12OSN] OpenOffice or StarOffice on K12LTSP 3.12

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 dahopkins comcast net wrote:

> But OOo doesn't import PDF, so I couldn't reply electronically, nor complete the form and print it.  I could print it and fill it in by hand, but ... then no one would have ever read it with my handwriting.

> > And this kind of thing is exactly what Microsoft wants to encourage, for
> > just this reason.  They don't want people to *think*.  If the lemmings
> > think, they cease to be lemmings.
> >
> > BTW, PDF is another cross-platform format, widely used and standardized,
> > for which there are many Free viewers.  OpenOffice.org 1.1 even outputs
> > to it.

HOWEVER PDF format documents are in a gov or school setting a violation of
section 508 of the Rehab act as they are not ACCESSIBLE nor are they
readable by video to text screen readers used by visually impaired and
some other people with disabilities

SO  you have a much more powerfull argument than just open source, by
federal regulations no document can require a proprietary software that is
not PROVIDED FREE to any one who needs the software, PDF as a graphic
document (contrary to adobes claims) is NOT complaint and cannot be made
compliant at the current state of technology.

to check to see weather any document or e-mail or communication is likely
to be compliant, try reading it in Pine, Pico, or Lynx which are minimum
standards for text access

member of W3C/WAI
for additional information on compliance  visit  www.W3C.org/WAI

Bob