Re: [K12OSN] Recommendations on lower end Gig-E NICs and Switches?

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:

I'm looking at piecing together another server
(just dreaming right now) and wondered if anyone
has suggestions for Gig-E NICs and 8-port (or
there about) Switches.  Keep in mind that I'm
trying to keep the costs low, so these don't need
to be the top of the line, just good, solid
performers.

NICs = Linksys?  D-Link?
Switches (small port #) = Trendware?  D-Link?

Is there really a benefit to using Gig-E in a
small lab (say 6-15 clients)?  Or am I going to be
fine with 100Mbs?

Richard, with 6 clients, you will *not* see significant difference. Asa amtter of fact, using cheap and poorly designed Gig cards and switches may make your setup run *slower* than good quality 100TX. julius

OK. Thanks Julius. I was wondering about the quality of those cheaper cards and if they'd be more trouble than they're worth. So, I guess to keep the costs low I'll stay with 100baseT cards and a 100baseT switch. Any recommendations for these? Can I go with the generic RTL8029 or RTL8139 NICs? What about a switch?

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO