Re: [K12OSN] Server Report

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> >	one more report from the front lines. I have set up my laptop
> >(sony pcg-v505acp, 2.4GHz p4, 512MB, 60GB disk) as a demo system with k12
> >v4.0.0. Bad demo - terminals crash at any mouse click on the desktop, the
> >session directly on the laptop works ok. I decided to downgrade to 3.1.2,
> >as i seem to have really lots of experience with it. Lo and behold!
> >everything works fine. i had 5 stations running OO and Moz and Gnome
> >terminal at really good speed (same as regular production servers). Well,
> >there it is, ymmv. julius
>
> What do you mean by "crash", the terminal wedges, the applications
> fail, smoke pours out, etc?

Eric,
	I am really sorry that the log got blown away by reinstall, before
I remembered to save it. There was no smoke and no fire, there also was no
mouse or keyboard action after any click at the desktop items.
	Terminal booting itself was rather shaky - often the keboard would
not work at all at the login screen, when you could log in, the gnome
terminal was working fine with no problems and sometimes you could call up
the program menu by clicking on the hat. Any click on the desktop item
caused immediate freeze of the terminal. The word "crash" comes from
/var/log/messages, where there was an entry to the effect that XFree86 has
crashed and that gdm session is trying to restart. No restart ever
happened. Again, I am really sorry that I didn't save the log.
	I did not realize earlier that i had a problem with terminals,
because the laptop was originally set with 3.0.1 and later upgraded to
3.1.1, where it worked with 4 terminals flawlessly (i used it as a quickie
drop in server for a week). I apt-get upgraded it to 3.1.2 and the console
worked great, but i didn't try it with terminals. i later apt-get upgraded
it to 4.0, but it wasn't entirely happy. i attributed it to the fact that
i downloaded gnome desktop and evolution directly, so i backed up my stuff
and blew everything away with 4.0.0 cd set. the console worked perfectly,
the problems showed up only on terminals. i did *not* run it in v4.0.0
very long - just a couple days.
	so there you are: no smoke, no fire :-)
julius