Re: [K12OSN] Server Report

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Julius Szelagiewicz <julius turtle com> wrote:
> > 	one more report from the front lines. I have set up my laptop
> > (sony pcg-v505acp, 2.4GHz p4, 512MB, 60GB disk) as a demo system with k12
>
> Wow... I can't get my Sony v505 to work for *crap* with any linux...  I wish over and over that I'd have bought an IBM.  This really worked with 3.x.x?  Perhaps only as a server?  (ie, you didnt' use the laptop as a client at all, just to serve to the thin clients?)
>
> Sony v505, by far the worst laptop I've ever used. :(

Shawn,
	other than my total inability to configure the built-in wireless
and the Sprint wireless card, the laptop performs admirably. As to setting
Linux on it: download the iso of k12ltsp 3.1.2, you can do it in windows,
burn the disks, make enough space for linux - i divvied the drive 40 - win
and 20 - linux, as i have all my static (lookup) data on win and the ntfs
partition mounted ro under linux. i used partition magic to change the
drive layout, i understand there are free tools to do it. put the first
3.1.2 cd in, reboot, take defaults, go with the other 2 disks.
	Voila! you have working linux laptop. now, change the eth0 / eth1
assignments. don't do it through /etc/modules.conf, because things get
pear-shaped when the pc card is not in. change by hand the ifcfg-eth*
files to reflect addressing and dhsp - eth0 for the outside, eth1 for the
inside. i have tried 9 terminals run off mine - slow, but usable! console
use without terminals - very, very fast, very, very nice. i had an older
version of k12 running on a Sony Vaio SR-17K and it was a real blast too.
	Problems: function keys don't work with or without acpi=on, but i
googled that there are work-arounds. wireless - seems to be lost cause,
unless i get a sudden infusion of 5 hours into every day. sprint and
verizon sierra and merlin cards just don't work, and that is a real pita
for me.  ymmv, but i think it is a great little laptop. julius