[K12OSN] nfs problems, continued

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jul 6 16:40:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 10:56, norbert wrote:

> Wasn't it MS-Dos 6  ? I believe that PC-DOS handled it in an earlier
> version ... M$ was always solw to catch up & by the look of things it
> hasn't changed much ....  :-D

The way I remember it (which could easily be wrong too...) was that
the MS version of 3.2 had a per-disk limit of 32 Megs, but vendors
like Compaq and AT&T supplied versions that allowed multiple 32 Meg
partitons on one disk.  3.3 was the MS version with the same. Then
4.0 allowed bigger partitions but was so buggy it is best forgotten.
Then Digital Research came out with DRDOS 5.0 that had some new
nifty features like on-the-fly compression, partitions to 8 gigs,
multitasking, etc.  Almost immediately after, MS released MSDOS 5.0
with nearly identical features, but they later ended up buying the
Stac Electronics company to make the lawsuits over stealing the
compression code go away.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com