[K12OSN] newbie trouble booting thin clients

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Tue Jul 13 13:08:18 UTC 2004

The new NIC SHOULD take care of the problem.  I would get them booting with a
boot floppy first to make sure that the computers will indeed work - they
should.  Go to www.rom-o-matic.com and make a boot floppy for the NIC that is in
the boxes.  Get them booting to the floppies and then decide if you want to buy
the new NICs.

Quoting Will Hatch <fhkms at adelphia.net>:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> Well, I purchased a switch, and a couple of network cards for my server, and
> I'm up and running.  I have 3 clients booting perfectly with internet access.
>  Now, I have to figure out how to boot these other 10 computers.  My stupid
> question:  If the bios of a pc does not have the option to boot to network,
> will buying a network card from disklessworkstations.com that is setup for
> booting solve my problem.  I'm having trouble understanding the boot process
> - making boot floppies - ect.  I'm willing to spend the 29$ for these network
> cards if it means I don't have to make boot floppies.  My understanding of
> this process is that a network card that has the boot rom programmed into it
> will fix this.  Am I on the right track?  Thanks!

Jim Hays
Technology Director
Monticello CUSD#25
Monticello, IL  61856