[K12OSN] VNCViewer and speed of refresh

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Jul 14 15:02:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:48:02AM -0500, Doug Simpson wrote:

> Well, I shouldn;t have assumed that since I directed that to a linux users
> group that I was using linux computers. . .

Since VNC is just about WORST choice to connect *NIX/Linux boxes,
using it at all implies a Win box somewhere in the mix.

X-Windows, The better choice, has been available for some TWENTY years.
It is usually an order of magnitude faster, sometimes more.

Oh, yeah - And its how your K12LTSP clients work.

People who know UNIX or Linux try to never use VNC to go between
*NIX/Linux systems.

To any person knowledgeable about networks and UNIX/Linux, VNC implies a
Win box at one end of the connection. (or, prior to Mac OS/X - a Mac)

> Sorry for the sarcasm. . .

Thats all right, Its was really funny because you had no idea.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not 'dissing VNC, but it should only be used as
as last resort when you can't use X-Windows.

Here's one of the how-to's:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Remote-X-Apps.html

--
Linux and Open Source.  The New Base.

Now All your base belongs to you, for free.