[K12OSN] VNCViewer and speed of refresh

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jul 14 15:29:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 10:02, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:48:02AM -0500, Doug Simpson wrote:
>
> > Well, I shouldn;t have assumed that since I directed that to a linux users
> > group that I was using linux computers. . .
>
> Since VNC is just about WORST choice to connect *NIX/Linux boxes,
> using it at all implies a Win box somewhere in the mix.
>
> X-Windows, The better choice, has been available for some TWENTY years.

Errr..., no.  The complaint was about VNC speed over a low bandwidth
link.  Running straight X is going to be much worse. VNC can skip
some steps during a screen update and catch up with the results when
things stop moving - X has to complete every step at the remote side.
Just opening a new window over a T1 can take minutes. Tight/ultra
vnc have some advantages but you have to match the client and server
to use the extensions.  However, I think there may be some kind of
network problem involved.  VNC over a T1 should be slightly annoying
with the cursor lag but very usable.  What kind of transfer rate do you
see in an ftp between the machines in question.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com