[K12OSN] Oo slow drop down menu display (sometimes)

Roger Ellison raennnn at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 16 05:20:34 UTC 2004

I'm doing some volunteer work for a computer recycler in Vermont; and,
we're putting together a small three node K12LTSP v4.01 setup as a demo,
to show local schools how they can save money.  The server is a Compaq
Deskpro 733 Mhz Pentium III with 384 MB RAM and a 10G IDE HD hooked to a
10/100 switch.  We've got a stack of Dell Optiplex machines ranging from
166Mhz Pentium, 266-350 Pentium II, and 533Mhz Pentium III's to choose
from, with from 32MB to 64MB installed RAM, and 3Com 3c905-TX 10/100
Ethernet on each.

There's not enough desk space where I'm at to hook up more than one
client at a time.  Every client boots handily to either an IceWM or
Gnome desktop.  Applications open reasonably quickly.  But it wasn't
until I tried clicking on one of the drop down menus in Oo Writer that I
found out what really slooooow is.  The problem afflicts the Pentiums
which use the Trio32/64 onboard video.  The Pentium II's and III's don't
have the problem and they have Rage 3D video.  Ifconfig eth0 shows an
ethernet connection devoid of errors; and, RAM doesn't seem to matter.
I've looked at other posts here and noticed Oo has some issues with slow
menu display.  We had hoped to use the slower Pentiums with the Trio
video in the demo, for maximum effect; but, that won't do with the big
slow down.

Am I right in suspecting the video chipset? Or is there something I've
overlooked?  X_SERVER = "auto" is in lts.conf.  I've tried xvesa, vesa,
fbdev, and vga to no avail, but had to leave before trying s3.  Setting
the resolution down by X_MODE_0 = 640x480 didn't help either.

Thanks
Roger