[K12OSN] Having a heck of a time getting K12LTSP to work

Kristin Shoemaker kshoemaker at maldenpubliclibrary.org
Tue Jul 20 15:46:03 UTC 2004

I installed K12LTSP all anew on my server, and plugged in my testing thin client (an old IBM P3 with a bootable network card). However, I am running into a couple of problems. DHCP never communicates with the computer I'm working on. The MAC address comes up, and it searches, and finally I get a message that says, "PXE51 --No bootp or DHCP found. Failed to load boot image."

When I go to the telecom room, I find that, invariably, the server has crashed. I figure this has got to be a hardware incompatibility somewhere? Maybe? I tried switching out the NIC in the client, with the same results.

I've tried tampering with DHCPD.conf, I've tried taking down and loosening the firewall, I tried both static and dynamic IP assignments...

I am guessing that as soon as the server is getting messages from the client, it freezes, and that's why I'm not getting my boot image. But I'm not sure why... Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

My specs:

Server:

P4 2.6 GHz
1 gig ram
80 gig IDE harddrive
built in LAN (intel mobo) and a 3 Com Etherlink card as the second NIC

Client:

IBM P3
340 MB ram
Intel NIC card 10/100