[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1.0 beta 1: last call for bug fixes!

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jul 22 21:09:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 12:08, Henry Hartley wrote:

> I've burned CDs and installed on a desktop machine (Compaq Deskpro).  I'm
> having a problem but I'm not sure if this is really a K12LTSP problem or
> something more basic.  The installation went fine and everything seems to be
> working except networking (a small but significant problem).
>
> I booted with Knoppix and it works fine so I'm pretty sure I'm not having a
> hardware problem.  When I try to start the network, however, eth0 fails to
> start.  I imagine it is something obvious and I'm just being dense but I
> don't know what the problem is.  Would the default firewall settings prevent
> the computer from reaching the network completely?  I turned off the
> firewall and that didn't seem to make any difference.
>
> If anyone can tell me what I'm missing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

What model Compaq Deskpro? We used to have some of these things, I had
problems with the tlan network cards and replaced them with something
else. That was a long time ago, maybe even in the kernel v2.2 days, I'm
not sure if that would still be a problem...

If you let us know the exact model, we can google for it...

Also, try booting the Knoppix disc, opening up a shell, and running:

	dmesg | less

and looking for info about the network card (eth0).

The boot back into K12LTSP and look at the dmesg output there.

Hopefully something different between the two will jump out.

-Eric