[K12OSN] internet content filtering

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Tue Jul 27 14:29:20 UTC 2004

Our IPCop/DansGuardian machine for our main campus is a 1 Ghz Pentium
with 512 MB RAM and an 80 GB HD (overkill).  I got it new last year for
about $350.  Put IP Cop on it, installed DG and we were filtering away
for <$500 with new equipment.

This serves two schools and about 350 workstations and does the job
well.  It is as much (or more) machine that what you get when buying a
commercial appliace for $3000-5000.

IPCop 1.4 does support SCSI, but we could not find an easy install of DG
for 1.4.  I do know of someone who does have DG ruinning on IPCop 14.
with SCSI drives.

The cache is not a problem here and I do have it turned on.