[K12OSN] Several Different Questions

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Jul 28 16:21:30 UTC 2004

Part I: Make sure Apache is running by typing 'ps -ef | grep httpd'; if
you get nothing, Apache isn't running.  If that's the case, try 'service
httpd start' to start Apache.  If it fails to start, you'll have to
delve into the httpd.conf file.

If Apache is already running, type 'nmap localhost' to get a list of
open ports, and verify that http is listening on port 80.  If it's not,
or you get no answer, Linux's firewall (/etc/sysconfig/iptables) may
have the port blocked.

Webmin provides its own httpd server, I believe, so the fact that it's
working doesn't have any bearing on whether Apache is working or not.

Part IIa: You should be able to point the vncviewer on the Windows box
to the LTSP server on port 5900, 5901, 5902, perhaps others, and get the
same login screen as the terminals.  Note that with VNC, you only use
the last two digits of the port number.  So,  for example, from the
windows box, point VNC at 192.168.1.208:00 or 192.168.1.208:01 and you
should get the login screen.  If you don't, check the /etc/services file
to make sure the vncserver is setup (it's usually at the bottom of the
file).

I'll leave the remaining questions to others with experience in those areas.

Petre