[K12OSN] Several Different Questions

Michael Elliott melliott at rpmhealthstop.org
Wed Jul 28 20:17:38 UTC 2004

Thanks for all of the advice thus far guys!

The VNC is working great from my Win2000 Box to my LTSP!  Just as a
thought - several of my workstations have static IP addresses for
attached printers.  I tried to use the VNC to connect to their IP
address, but I kept getting a timeout.  Which makes sense since nothing
is actually at the IP Address - any ideas of things to try to get access
to the desktop of these machine for assisting users?

Petre,
I checked to make sure that apache is running and it is.  However, when
I ran "nmap localhost" port 80 was not listed.  I went to the
/etc/sysconfig/iptables file and I did not see where I should modify to
allow Port 80.  A bit of information that may have been useful as well
would be that Dansguardian is installed with Squid as well.  I failed to
mention that and I did fail to check to see if it was blocking Port 80.
I have been using it mainly for content filtering and monitoring.  But
if the system is not listening on Port 80 - would it even matter about
the Dansguardin/Squid if the server was not listening?  Do you have any
suggestions as to where I should look for the information about the
server listening on Port 80?
Thanks!

Huck,
I tried using "who" but I get the same list as when I type "finger"  Any
other suggestions?  Thanks!

Everyone - thanks for all of the advice thus far and I'll keep plugging
away at this stuff - hopefully with your help I get it all figured out.
Mike