[K12OSN] D Day

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Wed Jun 2 14:32:55 UTC 2004

I'm in the DC area trying to get a lab into my daughter's (private) school.
I'm not sure what you want me to try, though.  We're a small (~100 students)
elementary and middle (K8) school that is only five years old (and only goes
up to fifth grade this year, adding a grade each year for three more years).
Currently, the only computers are on faculty and staff desks.  The second
and fifth grade teachers didn't have computers this year from Sept. through
December.  They hired the fifth grade teacher but didn't budget for a
computer for him!  The second grade teacher's computer stopped working just
as school started and they kept stringing her along.  Finally, I took the
hard drive out, put it in a new machine and had her up and running in about
two hours.  I feel bad that I didn't do that in September instead of her
having to deal with that for so long but they kept saying the new machine
was coming.

For me, selling LTSP was not that hard.  The choice was not between an
expensive Windows based lab and an inexpensive LTSP based lab.  The choice
was between an inexpensive LTSP lab and NOTHING!  My budget of $3,000 for
everything was greated fairly warmly.  Unfortunately, things seem to be
moving VERY slowly, not just on this but on many other issues at the school
and I'm becoming a bit discouraged by that.  I've been promised my $3k by
the end of June but I'll believe it when I see it.  At any rate, that would
give me enough time to get things set up for the fall and have some time to
work with the teachers on how to use the lab.

--
Henry